The East Gymnasium at Wushan Campus, or known as the Old Gym, was finished in 1937. The design of the building, created by Guan Yizhou and Yu Qingjiang, two renowned architects at the time, was a combination of western classical architectural frame and Chinese traditional elements.
In 1952, the opening ceremony of South China Institute of Technology (current SCUT) was held in the gymnasium. In 2007, it was listed by the Guangzhou government as one of the city’s Cultural Heritage Buildings. It is now a multi-purpose center, with the SCUT Cinema built inside it.
Photo by Kang Haotian
Edited by Xu Peimu