On November 17, 1952, three years after the People’s Republic of China was founded, the state government was reorganizing institutions of higher learning all over the country, when South China Institute of Technology was established, unifying the engineering schools and departments of a number of major universities from five provinces.
The reorganization brought engineering faculties with the strongest academic strength in central and southern China to assemble in Guangzhou. The new institute, along with the other three regrouped engineering institutes in Nanjing, Wuhan and Dalian, were called the “The Big Four” at the time, as they were carrying the whole nation’s expectation of developing science, technologies and industry with the support from higher education.
Over the last six decades, this institution, which was renamed as South China University of Technology (SCUT) in 1988, never stopped fulfilling its commitment of meeting the above expectation, delivering research results, transformed technologies and tens of thousands of extraordinary graduates to the region, the country and the world.
Today, as it marks its 64th birthday, we SCUT people are honored and proud, with our heartfelt blessings to the future of building a world-renowned university.
Original photo by Xu Yonghua
Designed and edited by Xu Peimu